willterrellart@gmail.com

How to get GOOD at drawing

Comments (24) comics

I made a mini-comic to answer the question I get more than any other.

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_001

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_002

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_003

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_004

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_005

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_006

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_007

how_to_get_good_at_drawing_008

24 Responses to How to get GOOD at drawing

1. Victoria says:

I thank you for this

2. admin says:

You’re welcome, friend!

3. Good stuff. Next problem is getting non-artists to believe it.

4. […] Will Terrell may have given me the answer. I stumbled across his cartoon essay titled “How to get GOOD at drawing“, and though it focuses specifically on drawing, I think its lessons are valid for writing or […]

5. AdotJdot says:

Would love to have a mini-comic of this to hand out to people who say that.

6. Nghiluu says:

Hi can i save it in my computer and post it on my FB. This story encourage me to keep drawing.

7. admin says:

Yes, definitely! Please share with anyone you think could use it. Keep smiling, friend!

8. Nghiluu says:

Thanks ^^

9. Jess Civantos says:

Thank you very much, Will Terrell. Lately, I’ve been disappointed with my drawing results and I could find some support in your good advices. You’re such a good guy. I like you and your work.

10. Mary Somerville says:

You are so encouraging. I love your comic strip on learning to draw. Very funny too.

11. Santiago Ramirez says:

Great!! thank you so much!

12. Jared Dennis says:

Oh wow was this great! So well done! This should be hung up in every art school

13. mirzwy says:

Beware comics characters also are conventional symbols , as words are. But you are such a good caricaturist , you go further !

14. Alex Bodnar says:

You’re correct. “Page 6” has become the most shocking! When people ask me for advice or message me about jobs I can’t believe it. Very humbling. You’ve hit the mark with every comment and advice you’ve given. Spot on!

15. admin says:

Its wild how that happens, isn’t it? And the more you improve, not just artistically, but even in just your effort and process… people you admire will start to say that type of thing to you as well.

16. Excellent summation, but you left out a bit of weirdness. Talent. It is a very real thing. All the practice in the world will NOT help most people. In the same way, a little practice goes a very long way for a great many other people.

Perhaps most people can learn to understand positive and negative shapes and reasonably accurately draw from life or photos, and that is a wonderful thing, but it is merely a physical thing, not a particularly creative thing – nuts and bolts are important, but creativity is far more than nuts and bolts…

In the third grade, a substitute teach completely freaked over my relatively accurate drawing of a sperm whale drawn from a photo onto butcher paper. She would not believe that my tiny body and mind had produced it – she thought a professional had drawn it for me and she was enraged enough to spank me when I wouldn’t change my story…

But talent, whatever the level, needs practice or it withers on the vine…

A friend of mine wanted to be an artist, but his portfolio seemed to be no different than any average 12 year old and he was 27 at the time. But I knew he was a hard worker, so I told him to study the five books I thought were the best and then six years passed and he called me out of the blue, telling me he was a storyboard artist for Warner Bros.! Later, he did storyboards for Disney, too… So I definitely believe that talent can be hidden completely and ONLY constant practice and study can bring it out…

17. Hey Will, very well said. I go to schools and teach kids how to draw with numbers and letters so they can see the very basic ideas of drawing. I explain to them that they had to practice writing when they were in Kindergarten and it wasn’t easy, but after doing it so many times you can do it without thinking. The same thing with drawing. I liked you point in the comic about how the critical eye develops much faster than the drawing skills do…I had never thought of that.
    Keep up the AWESOME work!
    -Steve

18. admin says:

That’s cool man! Yeah you do really well with that in your videos. I loved teaching kids to draw using letters and numbers. Parents really got off on it too because I was teaching the kids the letters of the alphabet at the same time, lol. I taught that class for 5 or 6 years every summer. Now some of those kids are turning 30… eeesh… time sure goes fast. Hey we should do a collaboration video. Maybe even a live stream where we take turns drawing from the same numbers/letters?

19. Jonathan D says:

This site is so encouraging, I watch your videos nearly every day and all I can say is keep up the good work. I really need to commit to drawing and filling up that sketchbook a month. ps Dont go to my website its embarrassing lol. Keep up the great work Will!!

20. admin says:

Thank you, Jonathan! 😀

21. I resumed sketching after a very long pause, and I feel like noob, was in deep depression as my hands shaking even to draw a circle. The guy trembling by the souls criticising in page no.1 is me, but u boosted me brother. Thanks a lot 🙂

22. Peter says:

I’m a great fan of You and Your work. I’ve fun watching Your films and trying to copy Your Style. I’m far away, but I hope to get better from day to day. Want to see something, that was inspired by Your films? Have a look on: http://farbentoepfle.de/2015/01/17/sketchbook-peter-leins-teile-nach-will-terrell/ or some other articles on my blog.

Thanks a lot, I wish You a good new Year, full of health and success. Lovely Greetings to Your wife.

23. steven says:

No matter how many times I read this comic strip, I still get so much out of it. It’s such a joy to read your thoughts and insught as much as your illustrations.

Thanks Will

24. Brandon says:

This is soo true! I’m not as good as you but people at school always ask how I’m so “good ” practice practice practice!